Tuesday, June 26, 2007

A month with Honey

Just a few more days until Honey leaves for church camp. She has been at our house since June 1st. I am ready for the month to be over. Honey is a great kid and she is fun to be around and doesn't give us any trouble (although she did get grounded for a week this month because we checked up on her and she wasn't where she was supposed to be). She never talks back. She will always (eventually) do what you ask her to. She doesn't play her music too load. She does pretty good picking up after herself. I really am lucky to have such a good step-daughter. BUT I am not used to this and I am ready for the month to be over. I always thing that someday she might decide to come live with us all the time. I would love the extra money that would give us (because we wouldn't be paying child support), but I wonder how well I would handle it. Would I eventually turn into a nagging step-mother? I would hope that I wouldn't, but I know there have been days this month that I have had to bite my tongue to keep from being a nag. I think women just have a nag gene. Have you ever met a woman who wasn't "good" at nagging?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, as much as I hate nagging, I do think that it's part of parenting. If you think of it in a different way -- and think of it as 'molding' -- working to mold the child (teenager, whatever) into how s/he should be. We're called to do that. It isn't easy and I don't enjoy that part. I'd much rather have them do what they need to do and then we can happily hang out -- but they're growing plants, and they need training. Soooooooo, call it what you want, it's necessary! Of course we don't want to overdo it, and we won't always do everything perfect every time. And holding your tongue? That's a necessary part of parenting too! You're doing well. :)

D