Thursday, January 03, 2008

Reactions of Others

This is from Lose it For Life Day by Day, April 10th.

We must be aware that some people will have doubts and may attempt to sabotage our progress in recovery, even when they are happy for us. They may say, "A little won't hurt!" or, "You can't have that ever?" This can be discouraging and throw us off track if we again focus our attention on deprivation rather than the fullness of life in God.

We must stay focused on how Jesus is restoring us to our "right mind." We have been given the opportunity to allow God to do the impossible through us. Sitting at the feet of Jesus -- a surrendered position -- we have become God-focused instead of food-focused. We begin to lose or maintain weight and grow spiritually. We are not bothered by the negative reactions of others.

I like eating a healthy diet. I feel better. It is easy to maintain my weight. I sleep better. My skin looks better. But there always seem to be food-pushers around. The holidays come and there are special holiday foods to eat and people look at you funny if you don't eat those foods. Or we go on vacation and my routine is thrown off and I don't want to bother with bringing along food to stick to my routine. However, because I know how much better I feel when I stick to my food plan, when events arise that through me off, I am much quicker about getting back to normal. And because I have finally learned what works for me, I am not tempted to try every diet plan (or "non-diet" plan) that comes out. I am in a good place. I like it. I have been working on being binge-free. Today is day 100! This is the year I am going to be binge-free. I just need to remember to "Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing but the body is weak." ~ Matthew 26:41.

No comments: