Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Ordering Your Private World

I went to Drug Emporium yesterday for vitamins and as I was walking past the books Ordering Your Private World by Gordon MacDonald caught my eye. I love order and organization, so I guess that is why it grabbed my attention, so I bought it.

This morning I read the preface and this section made me think of the previous pastor at our church:

Natural gifts such as personal charisma, mental brightness, emotional strength, and organizational ability can impress and motivate people for a long time. Sometimes they can be mistaken for spiritual vitality and depth. Sadly, we do not have a Christian culture today that easily discriminates between a person of spiritual depth and a person of raw talent. Like the wheat and the tares of Jesus' parable, they can be difficult to distinguish. The result is that more than a few people can be fooled into thinking they are being influenced by a spiritual giant when in fact they are being manipulated by a dwarf.

We must always be aware that there are leaders who can build great organizations (including churches) on natural gifts. Say the right words, be smart enough to do the right things, be insightful enough to connect with the right people, and one can go a long way before anyone ever discovers that the inner life is close to empty.

Our former pastor was a gifted preacher, but he struggled with a sexual addiction. Even though he had an accountability partner, he did not remain accountable to him and eventually he left our congregation because of an affair. I am sad that we lost such a talented preacher, but I suppose that he was not the "spiritual giant" that he appeared to be.

No comments: