Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Abundance

The following question was in an email I received from Thrive!:

Do I have an abundance of the things I need to live comfortably?
The term "comfortable" means different things to different people. Make it a goal in your life to not aim for "enough," but to have "more than enough" of what you need -
whether it's time, money, love, space or other precious resources. When you live in abundance, you can focus more clearly on what you want. It empowers you to share yourself, your time, talent, and love more generously.


I did not like this question. I think it implies that we should be striving to increase the resources we have instead of being content with less. I do feel like I have everything I need to live comfortably, because I choose to live below my means. Sugar Pop and I were discussing houses and house payments last night because one of his co-workers is house hunting. When we bought our house, we could have qualified for a bigger house (and a bigger house payment). But because we made the decision to buy a less expensive house, we have more discretionary income to spend on other things and to be able to give more. Because we choose to limit the activities were are involved in, we have more time to spend together and with family. Because we don't have "shows" we must watch on television, we aren't tied to the television schedule. I love living simply and I want to continue to simplify my life because it frees me and enables me to be content with less.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

AMEN! I totally agree. It is scary what the banks will let people borrow...and I'm afraid that a lot of people are getting themselves into a bind or two (or three) because of it. D