Friday, May 18, 2007

Living Simply

The people who influence us the most are not those who detain us with their ontinual talk, but those who live their lives like the stars in the sky and "the lilies of the field" -- simply and unaffectedly. Those are the lives that mold and shape us.

If you want to be of use to God, maintain the proper relationship with Jesus Christ by staying focused on Him, and He will make use of you every minute you live -- yet you will be unaware, on the conscious level of your life, that you are being used of Him. ~ My Utmost for His Highest


This reminded me of my mother. She was quiet and always working in the background. She served at our church, but didn't draw attention to herself. I'm not even sure most people knew of the work she did - preparing flowers (from her garden) for the altar, keeping the supply closet for religion classes organized and prepared, filling in for the usual organ player, allowing the priest to come over and use our washer & dryer and have lunch with us. I don't think my siblings ever knew that she would always attend Mass on their birthdays. She loved to do kind things for other people and I'm sure there are many lives she touched that I don't know about. I want to be like my mom.

No comments: