Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Trying to be an adult in a world full of children

At some point in life, each one of us must decide what is his highest joy; for the thing that delights us directs us. Generally speaking, a child finds his delight in what he has; a youth in what he does; and an adult in what he is. The first lives for possessions, the second for the experiences, and the third for character. We do not condemn the child or the youth for so living, because neither has reached maturity, but we would certainly wonder at an adult who lived on those lower levels. ~ From Live Like a King by Warren Wiersbe via my Life Lesson Devotional

When I read this, I went to Amazon to find out when it was written because it doesn't seem that our society is condemning adults for living at the lower levels of seeking possessions and experiences. In fact, from what "they" (the media) would have us believe, the only thing worth seeking is possessions and experiences. (In case your curious too, it was written in 1975.) No wonder I can't stand to watch regular television...it is geared for children and I am trying to become an adult.

He continues...

So, every person has an outlook on life, he is seeking his highest joy. Outlook determines outcome. Abraham lifted up his eyes and saw the stars and become the friend of God by faith. Lot lifted up his eyes and saw Sodom and became the friend of the world. Abraham inherited the city prepared for him by God, the city he had been seeking; but Lot lost everything when Sodom went up in smoke. If life is to be rich and meaningful, then our joys must be the highest possible and Jesus tells us that the highest joy possible is to see God.


I want to seek after the highest possible joy. I can't go on living and seeking after the things the world wants me to, I must seek after God. God is the only place I can find joy, happiness, and fulfillment. Everything else is just a substitute and will never fill the God-shaped whole in my heart. Augstine said, "You have made us for Yourself, O Lord, and our hearts are restless until they rest in You." Amen!

No comments: