Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Blessings On Our Efforts To Change

This came from the Magnificat several years ago and I have always liked it. If you are looking for a good daily devotional that follows the liturgy of the Church, I highly recommend the Magnificat. It would also make a great Christmas present. You can request a sample here.

Place before the Lord all those areas of your life in which change is necessary, and ask for the Holy Spirit’s gift of courage.

But our citizenship is in heaven. And we eagerly await a Savior from there, the Lord Jesus Christ, who, by the power that enables Him to bring everything under His control, will transform our lowly bodies so that they will be like His glorious body. ~ Philippians 3:20-21

He called a little child and had him stand among them. And He said: "I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. ~ Matthew 18:2-3

Listen, I tell you a mystery: We will not all sleep, but we will all be changed – in a flash, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, the dead will be raised imperishable, and we will be changed. ~ 1 Corinthians 15:51-52

And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord's glory, are being transformed into His likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit. ~ 2 Corinthians 3:18

He also says, "In the beginning, O Lord, you laid the foundations of the earth, and the heavens are the work of your hands. They will perish, but You remain; they will all wear out like a garment. You will roll them up like a robe; like a garment they will be changed. But You remain the same, and Your years will never end." ~ Hebrews 1:10-12

For John came to you to show you the way of righteousness, and you did not believe him, but the tax collectors and the prostitutes did. And even after you saw this, you did not repent and believe him. ~ Matthew 21:32

Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is -- his good, pleasing and perfect will. ~ Romans 12:2

LITANY OF ABANDONMENT
From the temptation to give up,
Lord, deliver me.
From the temptation to disappointment,
Lord, deliver me.
From the temptation to fear and dread,
Lord, deliver me.
From the temptation to cynicism,
Lord, deliver me.
From the temptation to skepticism,
Lord, deliver me.
From the temptation to distrust,
Lord, deliver me.
From the temptation to apathy,
Lord, deliver me.
From the temptation to obstinacy,
Lord, deliver me.
From the temptation to rationalizing,
Lord, deliver me.
From the temptation to despondency and despair,
Lord, deliver me.
From the temptation to nay-saying,
Lord, deliver me.
From the temptation to gloominess,
Lord, deliver me.
From the temptation to doubt,
Lord, deliver me.
From the temptation to being overly-critical,
Lord, deliver me.
From the temptation to indifference,
Lord, deliver me.
From the temptation to nihilism,
Lord, deliver me.
From the temptation to impatience,
Lord, deliver me.
From the temptation to be contrary,
Lord, deliver me.
From the temptation to stubbornness,
Lord, deliver me.
From the temptation to discouragement,
Lord, deliver me.
From the temptation to pessimism,
Lord, deliver me.
From the temptation to resignation,
Lord, deliver me.
From the temptation to remain stuck in my ways,
Lord, deliver me.
From the temptation to dejection,
Lord, deliver me.
From the temptation to make excuses,
Lord, deliver me.
From the temptation to hopelessness,
Lord, deliver me.
From the temptation to defeatism,
Lord, deliver me.
From the temptation to cowardice,
Lord, deliver me.
From the temptation to antagonism,
Lord, deliver me.
From the temptation to rigidity,
Lord, deliver me.
From the temptation to willfulness,
Lord, deliver me.
From the temptation to diffidence,
Lord, deliver me.
From the temptation to anxiety,
Lord, deliver me.
From the temptation to lose heart,
Lord, deliver me.
From the temptation to have an unyielding spirit,
Lord, deliver me.
From the temptation to presumption,
Lord, deliver me.
From the temptation to rash judging,
Lord, deliver me.
From the temptation to obduracy,
Lord, deliver me.
From the temptation to negativity,
Lord, deliver me.
From the temptation to fatalism,
Lord, deliver me.

The Serenity Prayer
God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. Living one day at a time; enjoying one moment at a time; accepting hardship as the pathway to peace. Taking as Jesus did this sinful world as it is, not as I would have it; trusting that he will make all things right if I surrender to his will; that I may be reasonably happy in this life and supremely happy with him forever in the next.

Our Father who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name.
Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.

Closing Prayer ~ For Ordering a Life Wisely
O merciful God, grant that I may desire ardently, search prudently, recognize truly, and bring to perfect completion whatever is pleasing to You for the praise and glory of Your name. Put my life in good order, O my God. Grant that I may know what You require me to do. Bestow upon me the power to accomplish Your will, as is necessary and fitting for the salvation of my soul. Grant to me, O Lord my God, that I may not falter in times of prosperity or adversity, so that I may not be exalted in the former nor dejected in the latter. May I not rejoice in anything unless it leads me to You; may I not be saddened by anything unless it turns me from You. May I desire to please no one, nor fear to displease anyone, but You. May all transitory things, O Lord, be worthless to me and may all things eternal be ever cherished by me. May any joy without You be burdensome for me and may I not desire anything else besides You. May all work, O Lord, delight me when done for Your sake and may all repose not centered in You be ever wearisome for me. Grant unto me, my God, that I may direct my heart to You and that in my failures I may ever feel remorse for my sins and never lose the resolve to change. O Lord my God, make me submissive without protest, poor without discouragement, chaste without regret, patient without complaint, humble without posturing, cheerful without frivolity, mature without gloom, and quick-witted without flippancy, O Lord my God, let me fear You without losing hope, be truthful without guile, do good works without presumption, rebuke my neighbor without haughtiness, and – without hypocrisy – strengthen him by word and example. Give to me, O Lord God, a watchful heart, which no capricious thought can lure away from You. Give to me a noble heart, which no unworthy desire can debase. Give to me a resolute heart, which no evil intention can divert. Give to me a stalwart heart, which no tribulation can overcome. Give to me a temperate heart, which no violent passion can enslave. Give to me, O Lord my God, understanding of You, diligence in seeking You, wisdom in finding You, discourse ever pleasing to You, perseverance in waiting for You, and confidence in finally embracing You. Grant that with Your hardships I may be burdened in reparation here, that Your benefits I may use in gratitude upon the way, that in Your joys I may delight by glorifying You in the kingdom of heaven. You who live and reign, God, world without end. Amen.

No comments: