Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Filling the empty places

"When an evil spirit comes out of a person, it travels through dry places, looking for a place to rest, but it doesn't find it. So the spirit says, 'I will go back to the house I left.' When the spirit comes back, it finds the house still empty, swept clean, and made neat. Then the evil spirit goes out and brings seven other spirits even more evil than it is, and they go in and live there. So the person has even more trouble than before. It is the same way with the evil people who live today." ~ Matthew 12:43-45


I have the desire in my heart to simplify my life and my main motivation is to make more room for God. This verse serves as a warning to me that as I simplify and make room, that I need to be sure and fill it with Him, instead of other things. I remember one Lent I decided to have protein bars for my breakfast and lunch every day so that I could use that time to spend with the Lord. However, a lot of that time saved was spent running errands and doing other things, instead of what I originally intended.

Lord, as I simplify my life and surroundings, please come and fill them with your presence. I want you here and nothing else. Amen.

No comments: