Friday, February 02, 2007

Procrastination

I am a procrastinator. It is a really bad habit of mine. I always seem to be putting things off until the last minute. This morning I got a message (I believe it was from God) that I need to work on eliminating this bad habit.

I prepare a newsletter (print and web) for the local Emmaus community. I had not finished the one for February. I get up this morning...and my computer has rebooted itself and I've got a message about a critical file being missing. Just Great! Thanks to Sugar Pop searching the web on his computer (fortunately we have THREE in the house), I was able to at least get it running although there is still something wrong. I was able to forward my file for the print newsletter to my gmail account "just in case" it went down again. It occurred to me that IF I hadn't been procrastinating, I would have already finished the newsletter and I wouldn't have been quite so stressed about the situation.

So...today I have been on an anti-procrastination kick. Here is a list of things I have accomplished today. Other than the newsletter, they are all things I did consider procrastinating on, but I decided that if God is giving me a message to Do It Now Girl (DING!), that I better do it.
1. Finished print newsletter and forwarded to the printer.
2. Finished web newsletter and uploaded.
3. Checked the mail at the UPS store.
4. Got my oil changed (due 1/28)
5. Got my inspection sticker (due last month - grace period runs out Monday)
6. Filled up with gas (down to a 1/4 tank)
7. Put more toilet paper in the master bathroom

Hopefully this anti-procrastination quick will last through the weekend!

Heavenly Father, Help me to remember the message you have given me. Help me to make good use of my time instead of putting things off until later. Later you might have something else planned for me and I need to be available for your service. In Jesus' Name I pray. Amen.

1 comment:

Vickie said...

I have so many things that I do immediately. Then I have other things that I FRET over but do not DO. I totally realize that I spend more time FRETTING than each of these things takes to do - but yet, those "holes/bumps" come up where I just put off and put off.