Friday, February 09, 2007

Growing Old

Quesstions from the "Abundant Life" study guide in the Max Lucado Study Bible I am reading:

Describe a person you know who has aged gracefully.
My mom. She was always kind and loving. I think this verse described her: The ways of right-living people glow with light; the longer they live, the brighter they shine. - Proverbs 4:18. I wish she would have lived longer and been able to shine brighter.

What is the difference between living long and really living?
Really living means enjoying life, being content, having the joy of the Lord in your heart. Living long would be depressing without that.

Why do you think so many people fight the natural aging process?
Pride. Fear of sickness. Fear of eternity.

What are some fears people have about growing old?
Fear of becoming disabled. Fear of losing their mind. Fear of pain and suffering and sickness. When mom was diagnosed with ovarian cancer she told me, "I'm not afraid of dying, I'm afraid of what I might have to go through to get there."

What criterion do you think we should use in looking back over a lifetime and evaluating its worth?
It is not the "stuff" you accumulate or the places you visit it is the relationships you form and the people whose lives you touch.

What are the "how to's" for enjoying the life God gives us?
Resting in the Lord and relying on Him for our strength. Having God in our hearts so that we are not constantly looking to fill our live with material things that do not satisify.

Do you think old age gives you more or less ability to enjoy life?
More. As we grow older we (hopefully) also grow wiser and troubles don't seem so pressing and urgent.

What do you fear most about aging? Why?
See the fears I listed above.

What stage of life do you think is the best and which is the most challenging? Why?
I'm going to guess that retirement will be best assuming I am healthy and can pursue the hobbies and volunteer work I would like to. The teenage years have got to be the worst - so much growing up going on, maturing to do, and we haven't gained much wisdom yet.

What can we do when we feel discouraged about growing old?
Remember that every day is one day closer to getting to be the Lord for all eternity.

1 comment:

Vickie said...

VERY good post - thought provoking - I really enjoyed it.