Monday, March 12, 2007

The Next Six Weeks

I've been struggling with losing a few pounds for months now. I am really getting aggravated with it and I am feeling very obsessed with the number on the scale. I've been having binges more often which is making it even harder to get the weight off.

This weekend the sermon was on "
How to Make Important Changes" and it had me thinking about my weight loss, binging, fitness, etc. I want to stop the binging. Don talked about "Rear View Mirror Practice" and the different places we identify the behavior we are wanting to change. Imagine the behavior is a car passing us on the right side. If we don't see the car (behavior) until it is passed us (we done it again), that is not a failure. It is a victory because we are identifying it. As we practice the change, we start to notice the "car" when it is beside (we are in the middle of the behavior) and we catch ourself. That is also a victory. With time we begin to use the mirror and see the behavior coming up behind us and put our self on alert.

Anyway, I was thinking about this during communion time and how I have been struggling with the number on the scale and with binging and eating healthy and all that "stuff." It came to me that I need to just do maintenance for six weeks. I almost recoil at the thought of it because I want to see that magic number. However, I also want to take some pressure off myself. I mulled it over all day yesterday and since I got up this morning. I believe the idea of doing maintenance came from God as it was nothing I had even pondered until communion yesterday. I am going to trust Him and work on maintenance the next six weeks.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have you ever done the Setting Captives Free 'Lord's Table' study? I really recommend it. There's a link to it on my blog. ((( hugs ))) D (it's free)