Sunday, October 07, 2007

Fed by God

From Lose it for Life Day by Day:

When struck with the kind of overwhelming hunger that grabs all our attention, we may think we'll simply die between meals. This unrealistic fear puts us in danger of making a food choice that is not in our plan or best interest. But there is a spiritual sustenance that will get us through this hunger and fear.

We can ask God to "feed" us between meals. Seeking the "bread" humans know nothing about is a spiritual task. It means resting in the knowledge that He is our true sustenance. It means resting in faith that we will not die between meals; we are merely uncomfortable. It means calming our spirit by drawing closer to Him and humbly letting go of our will when we're around food, even when others urge us to eat. Like the disciples did to Jesus, those around us may urge us to eat things that are not in our plan, but we can remain steady and committed by drawing on spiritual food.

I needed to read this today. The weekends can be difficult for me because I don't always eat like I do on the weekdays and because I am at home where there is a pantry full of food, it is easy to seek after snacks all day. What I need to do instead is seek after Him who fills me with His spirit.

No comments: