Thursday, October 04, 2007

Food Rewards

What do you think of food rewards? After my post yesterday about my licorice reward, I was wondering what you might think of it.

I think we need to be careful with food rewards. They should not be a daily thing, as in, "I went for a walk today so I will reward myself with a double scoop peanut butter hot fudge sundae."

However, having a food reward can be an incentive to meet goals and give you an opportunity to "earn" a treat you wouldn't normal have and prevent you from feeling deprived. For example, my Monday weight is almost always higher than my Friday weight. We usually go out to eat once or twice on the weekend or I splurge a little. Well, when my Monday weight is less than Friday, then I treat myself to a fast food lunch that week. This only happens once every few months. Because I have a reward system in place I don't feel deprived of my Taco Villa Burrito since I will eventually earn one and since I have to cut back on my normal weekend eating routine, the calories all even out in the long run.

1 comment:

Lori ~ The Simple Life at Home said...

Ok, do you want to know what I think of food rewards? Or what I think of this specific food reward? Cuz in my mind there is nothing nastier than black licorice! LOL!

This is something that I struggle with - rewarding myself with food. So if you have managed to break the habit, I would be careful about bringing it back into your life. But if it's never really been a problem for you, then it's probably no big deal.

But if it were me, it would NOT be that! LOL!!