Monday, April 30, 2007

It is everywhere!

Why is that there is food everywhere, all the time?

There is a bible study starting at our church this week and I've been trying to decide whether to attend. Apart from the time commitment (2 hrs, once a week for 7 weeks plus daily homework), there is something else that concerns me. The description of the class says, "This is a wonderful time of food, fellowship, and an awesome study experience for women of all ages." FOOD! Listed first. Like it is the most important part.

I do not need any food temptations, but the class name is intriguing - Discerning the Voice of God by Priscilla Shirer. Has anyone ever done this study?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about food being the first concern. While I do believe that Christians need more teaching on gluttony and the proper place of food, food IS a social thing that we do. It is meant for nutrition, but I do believe that 'breaking bread' with fellow believers make fellowship more enjoyable. The thing is 'how much'? And 'what'? I find that usually the kinds of food at these sorts of things are not healthy things at all -- baked goods, caffeine and coloured, sugared water. Of course, alot of these things are cheaper than healthy food too. Sooooooooo, that being said, I don't think that we'll be changing the food, fellowship thing but I do hope for more education about gluttony. Have you ever asked someone if they know of anyone with a gluttony problem? They'll usually look at you funny, and then haul up some memory of someone who is vastly overweight who must be a glutton!! They will never look at themselves or the person beside them. End of sermon! LOL D