Monday, August 06, 2007

Obsessions

I have a tendency to get obsessed about things. If I am working on some sort of project, it becomes all-consuming. I think about it constantly to the detriment of other things in my life.

In the past I have done this when I was dieting. I would think about my diet and research my diet and plan and think and think and think. Then when some other thing came along that demanded my attention, I would obsess about that and all my dieting would fly out the window and the pounds would creep back on.

But not this time. Yes, at one point during this final weight loss journey I was very obsessed. However, now that I have been on maintenance for a while and I have finally made a lifestyle change, I can obsess about other things but not falter on my healthy eating and fitness routine. There are days when I am not able to eat as healthy as like or get in any exercise. Instead of just giving up totally on those days, I do what I can do, and then go right back to my routine as soon as I can.

Yesterday was such a day. We had company for brunch and for supper. I didn't have a chance to eat some of my healthy foods - like whole grains and my Fiber One cereal. I didn't have time by myself to get any exercise in. I didn't get in my 5,000 steps. I had sugar and flour and I had a dessert after 9 pm. I am not going to beat myself up about what I did and didn't do yesterday. I am not going to continue lounging around all day, eating sugar, flour, and not getting in enough fresh fruits and veggies. Instead, I am returning to my healthy lifestyle today. This is the person I have become. I have obsessed about these habits for so long that now I don't have to. The are natural to me. I like them. I enjoy the treats I have on off days, but I enjoy my healthy lifestyle just as much. I am never deprived.

No comments: