Friday, July 20, 2007

Fitness Friday

Our little 3-day weekend last weekend added 3.8 pounds to the scale! ACK! I actually felt like I did fairly well, I just had too much flour (bread & pasta). As far as sweet treats, I had cheesecake on Friday night and 3 bites of Italian Cream Cake (the BEST I have ever had) on Saturday night. My system is just not used to refined flour. I only eat it about once a week. When I have bread it is usually Food for Life bread and they don't contain flour. I've been working all week to get back to my weight range. So far, I'm still not there, but I'm hoping I will be when I weigh this morning.

Sugar Pop has decided he needs to get serious about a diet. He stepped on the scale Tuesday morning and was 196. Too close to 200 for him. He wants to get back below 180. I am so happy when he decides to get serious about his weight. Not only do I get a healthier husband, but we start going to the gym more and he is no longer tempting me with trips to Braums.

I got another run on the treadmill in this week. I ran at 5.8 mph for 30 minutes on Wednesday evening. It was tough and I was really tired afterward. I think I will repeat that run one more time before I increase to 5.9 mph. My ultimate goal is 6.0 mph. Speaking of running, I am considering signing up for a 5K. The only one I've found so far is one the gym is having on October 27th. That is a ways off, so I have plenty of time to talk myself into (out of) it. Maybe, just maybe, Sugar Pop would do it with me. He used to run every night. This was long before we met. I can't imagine him going out to jog every night.

Of course, I can't believe that I look forward to my runs on the treadmill. I hated running growing up. I hated P.E. class (except on the days we played with the parachute). I had asthma as a kid and was not athletic at all. I did not play ANY sports. I did like to roller skate. I liked going to the swimming pool, but I was never a strong swimmer (and I'm still not). In high school I was an athletic trainer in high school because it counted as a P.E. credit. I loved being a trainer. It taught me a lot of responsibility and I got to hang out with all the football, basketball, and baseball players. Baseball was my favorite. Sitting in the dugout on a nice spring day and eating sunflowers seeds was great! (Plus there were seldom any injuries in baseball.)

Dieting is not new to me. I've done a lot of that during my life, but fitness is a new thing. I've come a long way in that journey. I do not dread exercise any more. I look forward to it every day and sometimes get irritable when I have to miss it. I enjoy doing it on my own. I don't like classes at the gym, because I feel very uncoordinated and I don't like other people watching me. I don't have a problem with going to the gym and using the cardio and weight machines, but I'm not comfortable being in a class. I'm sure it has to do with the little girl with asthma who wasn't athletic and didn't play sports and was always one of the last (but fortunately not THE last) kid chosen for a team in P.E. class.

No comments: