Wednesday, July 25, 2007

A Haven

I want my home to feel like a haven. I work at keeping things clean and uncluttered. This is constant work, but even though it is work and I sometimes dislike it, I love the feeling of walking into a clean and uncluttered room. It makes me smile.

I am now working on bringing that same feeling to my closet. This is one of the places that moves from nice and neat to disarray the fastest.

It is a large walk-in closet with rods on either side. At the far end is a row of shelves between the two rods. On one shelf is where I keep my jewelry and perfume. A couple of weeks ago I moved a wedding photo from the living room to that shelf and that is when the inspiration hit. When I walked into my closet, seeing that photo would make me smile. Of course all the other shelves were filled with shorts and sweaters stacked haphazardly. I decided to move the sweaters and shorts to the shelves above the rods and move other things that will make me smile to the center of attention. One thing is a porcelain doll. My mother made her clothes and the little bed she lies in. On another shelf I folded two quilts neatly - one was an old and well used patchwork quilt that was probably made when my mom still lived at home with her parents and the other is a denim quilt I started in elementary school that my mother finished for me.

I wish I would have taken a before picture, but I started this project on a whim and didn't think about where it might lead. I will post an after picture when I feel like the closet is complete.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wanna come & declutter for me???? I really want to get at it but I get annoyed at getting interrupted. I'm one who needs to stick to a job and complete it and THEN come up for air! Having to run teenagers here, there & everywhere & also homeschooling cuts into my time and, I guess for now, I'll just have to live with some clutter. But I have the bug to get working on it. I figured that if I slowly get rid of stuff, there will be less to organize. D