Sunday, January 07, 2007

How to stop a complainer?

I read something in my daily reading today that made me think. I've been pondering it and didn't really know how to put it into words, so that is why this is so late today. Basically it made me think about how quick most people are to complain. And how it seems that the easier our life is, the MORE things we find to complain about. If I have a headache, I will complain to my family and people I work with and it might make me irritable. But I see my sister-in-law who suffers from MS and uses a walker and wheel chair to get around. I have NEVER heard her complain about her illness. Oh, I'm sure she does, but not in public and not to everyone she comes in contact with. There are a few people in my life that at times it seems they LIVE to complain. They can go on vacation and when you ask them how their trip was, all you get is a litany of all the things that were wrong. What makes some people complain more than others? Do the perpetual complainers realize how exasperating it is to listen to them? Is there anything that could be said to stop their complaints? Does ANYONE have a clue? I would love to know!

In the meantime...

Lord, please help me to monitor my thoughts and words for complaints. I know that I am blessed with so many wonderful gifts you have given me. When I feel the desire to complain, help me to stop and think of your gifts instead. Help me to watch my words so that others do not become exasperated by listening to me. Instead let me be uplifting and encouraging with the words I speak. Help me to be patient when listening to others complain and give me Your wisdom and words to speak to them. In Jesus name I pray. Amen.

No comments: